Infertility is a complex medical condition with many causes and implications. A recent study revealed that an infertility diagnosis can be as stressful as a cancer diagnosis. (*Cue the validation exhale*) In/fertility treatment is an overwhelming and daunting world that is expensive, foreign, and doesn’t guarantee success in the end. Being poked, probed, treated like a broken body, disconnected from your emotions. Those who’ve been given an infertility diagnosis, told by their doctors that IVF is their best option, often find themselves hiding their circumstances from family and friends. Putting on a smile, crying alone in your car, and only sharing with intimate partners. Often times, unloading on your partner is a lot of pressure for one person to bear. I encourage you to preserve that intimate relationship and spread the stress. Particularly with someone who isn’t emotionally and intimately invested in the ultimate outcome. This is a space to be honest, raw, and unafraid of upsetting your inner circle.
As an In/Fertility & Reproductive Loss Counselor, this means that I have combined my specialized training in Fertility Counseling along with my mental health training to better understand how infertility affects a person’s emotional and psychological well-being. I already speak the infertility language.
I assist clients in finding ways to cope with the various aspects of in/fertility:
- Unexplained infertility
- Specific infertility diagnoses
- Secondary infertility
- Reproductive grief and loss
- Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART) treatment
- Coping with the side-effects of medication on one’s mood
- Support through Third party reproduction (egg/sperm/embryo donation, surrogacy)
- Support with decision making regarding frozen gametes and embryos
- Adoption counseling
- Decisions to living child-free
- Pregnancy and Parenting after A.R.T.
- Counseling for single family building / parenting
- Counseling for LGBTQ family building / parenting
- Counseling for pregnancy and parenting after A.R.T. (including talking with your child/ren about your building journey.)
- Consultation to help link clients to the most appropriate resources necessary to move forward.